Friday, March 30, 2007

Girl Parts (Not for Boys)

So, um....Cancer Free!

This past Wednesday, after many delays and rescheduling mishaps, I underwent The Procedure, as we like to call it, and I am officially healthy once more. After months and months of agonizing and stressing and eating Haagen Daazs out the yin yang, it ended up being very much ado about nothing actually. Although I feel some sense of obligation in case some other girl has to go through the same thing and wants the honest truth, I won't go into the nitty gritty since my dad reads this. Here's the glossed over version and you can have your friends email me if they want some extra comforting:

They did ask if a male resident could come observe, and I said absolutely not. I KNOW they have to learn somehow, but I just wasn't in the mood to be gawped at by some weirdo man. I mean, seriously, I can't figure out why a man would go into gynecology. I get the obstetrics part, although all male OBs should look just like Cliff Huxtable and do that moony smiley face as soon as your baby pops out. But male gynecologists just seem kind of...wrong. (Plus I secretly feared that Alex Karev would suddenly come smirking into the room while I was sitting there.)

They stuck a big grounding strip on my leg, which cracked me up for some reason, and the medicine they administered gave me the shakes. But the nice nurse let me knit, which also struck me as being funny (um, ladies, you can picture this...guys, you probably don't want to), and she actually held the yarn ball for me so it wouldn't roll on the floor. Knitting is very therapeutic, and there I was shaking and knitting, knitting and shaking. It was all quick and painless and afterwards Simons got me an orange dreamcicle jamba juice and drove me home so I wouldn't have to park the car. He is a most excellent husband.

So, Holly, thanks for the Hob-Nobs and US Weekly. Melissa, thanks for the lavender plant. Mom and Daddy, thank you for the flowers. Sonia, the Godiva was/is delish. I have such marvelous support.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! *does happy dance*


Rachel

Lissa said...

I'm so glad that you are okay!

Nancy said...

I am so glad you have this weight lifted and that you are okay. We've been thinking about you!

NotSoccer Mom said...

hehe, i remember that grounding strip! glad to hear all's well. make sure to get your followups!

Anne said...

Hooray!!! So sorry you had to stress so, so glad it's over for you.

The Sorority said...

So glad that you are OK. I did snort a couple of times - the phrase 'grounding strip' and imagining you knitting and shaking and the nurse standing beside you holding your yarn so that it didn't fall. But, wasn't it hard to knit with the shaking?

Diane

barbie2be said...

happy to hear you are ok!

my gyn's office leaves a chocolate on the pillow of the exam table, and they encourage you to eat it before your exam because chocolate releases endorphins that calm you. :)

Stepping Over the Junk said...

FABULOUS! I wonder what the lesson is in "not worrying" because regardless, I can never not worry, even though I know there is a chance of some great thing like this if it were to happen to me...cancer free for you...awesome!

Pink Herring said...

Thank goodness! I'm glad you're OK!

Jill said...

I am so happy things are good!! (been there, so sending hugs)