Tuesday, January 30, 2007

oh My GOD!!!!!!

I hate our landlord. My desk faces out into the courtyard towards the street, and I just watched his very large Rhodesian Ridgeback attack my downstairs neighbor's aging pug. After he'd dragged his dog off the pug, he asked my neighbor if her dog was okay, had a whole conversation with her, and THEN kicked the hell out of his dog. I'm not really cool with kicking a dog to begin with, but his damned dog probably had no idea what it was being punished for at that point. He never has him on a leash, and is constantly scolding and shouting and directing him to do things that the dog does not understand...such as, "What do you think you're doing? Get over here!" What, does he think the dog is going to answer him?

It really pays to have a little dog psychology sometimes. Such as, walk your enormous lion-hunting breed of dog, because it wasn't designed to sit inside your apartment all day. Keep the dog on a leash so you can praise it instead of yell at it and beat it. Punish the dog the instant you catch it, not after it's just obeyed you by returning to your side. If you beat it AFTER it comes to you, it just learns not to come to you.

I really hate that man.

In other news, here is what I have done today: Knit a pair of gloves. Make dinner.

No really. That's it. I have about 10 articles to write by Friday, as well as, 15 entry pages to write for a marketing company's new client. The museum people are going to be assigning me the details of the project any day now. And all I can think about is starting this blanket for some friends of ours who are getting married and how much freaking wool I'll need.

WHAT IS MY DAMNED PROBLEM? WHY AM I SO LAZY????? WHY? WHY? WHY? THIS IS WHAT I'VE BECOME? This person who reads knitting websites and lazes about all day twiddling pointy sticks?

8 comments:

Stepping Over the Junk said...

You might need to go get a cubicle at the library or something!!!! (and leave the yarn at home).

I sometimes have to write a list of EVERYTHING that needs doing and then I write a smaller list of what I require myself to get done that day and then start one right away. It can get me in a groove. Sometimes not and I end up watching Oprah or reading other people's blogs.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

Oh and on the dog thing...I DO NOT understand stupid dog owners. I am only a part time dog mommy and even I know that a) you keep your dog on a leash in areas such as apartment complexes where there are other dogs and children and people and b) unless you do the training while the offense is being committed. Not after chatting with the neighbor. AND KICKING HIM! The man should be bitten.

Jennifer said...

SOTJ has good points... I could not work at home because as much as I hate having to come into the office every day, I am incapable of getting anything done when I'm not on a fixed schedule. Well, that's not true... I get lots of things done at home, but just not things anyone would pay me for. Unless they're paying for organizing closets and dusting nowadays?

And that evil dogowner needs to get hit by a bolt of lightning. I cannot stand people who treat animals like that. Asshole. Have you read The Dogs of Babel? THis reminded me of that book, since it was about a Ridgeback and dog abuse.

Marcheline said...

Some odd thoughts:

* I never knew there was a breed of dog called a "Ridgeback"... it makes me think of the Harry Potter books, where they have a breed of dragon called a "Norwegian Ridgeback". Wonder if J.K. Rowling got the idea from the dog breed...

* As a crochet fiend, I always find myself wondering why there are a million projects that require OODLES of yarn (blankets, scarves, sweaters) and every damn yarn auction on ebay is for one or two skeins. What the freak can you make with one or two skeins? I mean, how many willy warmers can one really do before losing interest completely and taking up bowling?

* There are too many people in the world who have animals and children that should never be let within 500 yards of an animal or a child. My boss brings her large yellow lab to work and yells at him to sit in the corner all day. He's the sweetest dog in the world, and his life has been reduced to laying on a 3X3 area of nasty brown carpeting. She doesn't give him water because then she'll have to walk him, and then wonders why he keeps getting urinary tract infections. I want to throw her out the office window and make the dog CEO in her stead.

The Sorority said...

While I can't knit to save my life, when I work from home I find a bazillon things that need done other than the large amounts of work that I committed to do. I agree with SOTJ that the list does help to get you focused, but then I am a list person. Remember how much money you will make from getting all this work done and the pretty shoes that you can buy with it...

On the dog thing - nothing makes me crazier than someone mistreating a dog. I wish there was a pound for stupid dog owners and that their pet was their jailer. That man many kicks for his bad treatment of his Ridgeback.

On another note - how was your swishy party?

Jill said...

Well I have a book due, TODAY, and I've been knitting a scarf. There is something wrong with me. Seriously, wrong.

Damian Young said...

At least I feel better knowing my wife is not the only knitting freak in the world...

I hope that guy's dog rips him a new arsehole (asshole in American) one day - and it will.

Wordnerd said...

Amen. And also, if I may add? Punish your dog APPROPRIATELY -- not by kicking! Sheesh!

I don't know how you do it -- I don't have the self-discipline to work from home.

Heck. I don't have the self-discipline to work at all. That's why I'm catching up on blogs instead of, um, ahem...