Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year

You know how there are some houseguests who use up all the hot water, hog the couch and eat the last piece of cheesecake when you wanted it? Holly and Sean are not them.

Holly is sitting in my living room doing a phone interview right now, saying, “mmmm….right…right…hahaha, yes, London, right” in that particular high pitched British way that kills me. She made me soft boiled eggs last night, which are DIVINE! And bought me Cadbury’s and red fishing trousers! From Vietnam! As far as I’m concerned, she can stay forever. Although, I have to be honest...someone was snoring last night, and it wasn’t Fat Charles. Poor Sean, a piddler AND a snorer?


The cats, however, are driving Beulah insane. I think she’s scared of Sadie, who just marched into the kitchen and commenced eating Beulah’s special trout chow, and hissed every time the dog twitched with damaged ego. The dog also spent the whole night with her snout mashed against the crack under the bedroom door, snorting and sneezing with impotent rage as the cats cavorted up and down the hallway in fits of midnight cat madness. She is totally demoralized and may need therapy.

I’m hoping to take Holly and Sean to my favorite Chinatown restaurant today, since I think I’ve been a rotten hostess, having been hungover, jetlagged (it seems wrong complaining about my 3-hour jetlag vs Holly’s 300-hour Singapore lag) and messy. Must clean. Must cook proper meals rather than standing in front of the fridge for 30 minutes, sighing and frowning.

Speaking of, I’ve finally finished up my list of 2007 New Years Resolutions. A few years ago, I jumped on the K. Lo bandwagon and began making hundreds of resolutions, thereby assuring myself a better than average chance of fulfilling them. For those of you who say that my list more than a little resembles my “To Do” list for last month, I say Mind Your Own Business.


This morning, I started South Beach so that MAYBE I can fit into my wedding dress again in two weeks for this goddamn horror of a ball. How embarrassing it will be when I burst forth from my satin froth and all my jiggly bits are out there for all the world to see? I hope someone takes a picture, because doubtless I’ll find it terribly amusing when I’m 85 and my jiggly bits have turned to dangly bits. So far today, I grade myself an 75% on strict adherence to The Plan, since I caved in and wolfed the rest of Holly’s Cadbury’s gift (it was going stale, I had to). But I DID safely avoid the potatoes and carrots in my delicious salade nicoise at lunch. I’m practically virtuous. Only 16 more days to go.

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS 2007

FAMILY and FRIENDS
1. Be more grateful for the friends and family that I have

2. Learn how to stop giving advice all the time
3. Be a better listener
4. Don't say mean things about people even if I am thinking them
5. Stop being so sarcastic
6. Remember birthdays
7. Give presents/cards on time
8. Be a good godmother- visits, presents, cards, letters, handknits
9. Be a good aunt- more visits, babysit, cards, letters, handknits
10. Sometimes go to social engagements I’d rather not attend
11. Be better about remembering names
12. Try to meet interesting people- go to more events of an educational nature
13. Learn how to mingle better
14. Invite someone interesting over for wine at least once a month
15. Make a good California CD for friends
16. Write three letters to friends each week
17. Send a care package to Mayfield

COOKING
18. Use a cookbook at least once a week
19. Bake something once every other week

20. Make my own stocks (first use the freezer full I have)
21. Learn to make demiglace
22. Keep tabs of what we eat at restaurants and make a personal Best Of list
23. Find a good dim sum place
24. Keep track of good recipes
25. Write down wines that we like
26. Keep entertaining journal (very good last six months, continue)
27. HELP Simons cook less
28. Invite someone over for dinner at least once a month
29. Go wine tasting once every other month
30. Wear an apron while cooking
31. Plan meals
32. Use my kitchen implements more: braiser, paella pan, mixers, etc
33. Figure out how to use the GD slow cooker even though is moot object
34. Go to work with S.M. once to see what it’s like to be a personal chef
35. Take a cooking class
36. Learn to can, pickle, preserve
37. Take a cheese class
38. Go to the farmer’s market at least once a month and get new ingredient
39. Cook more with heirloom vegetables
40. Have tea at the Ritz
41. Go to Japanese tea garden

HABITS
42. Use SF travel guide Christmas present and try to go see something in it once a week
43. Spend more time doing hair so I look less trailer
44. Volunteer for at least one organization this year
45. Go to church once a month
46. Pray more even when I don’t need something
47. Have better time management
48. Keep abreast of news (read NYT headlines every day)
49. Memorize one poem a month
50. Eat more slowly
51. Stop being so open with people on streets here as they all seem to be perverts
52. Go see a movie and go out to eat a nice dinner by myself at least once
53. Swear less
54. Pack lighter
55. Wear hair down more
56. Knit all Christmas gifts before Thanksgiving
57. Send all holiday cards before Thanksgiving
58. Finish the @#$% thank you notes
59. Figure out gauge
60. Understand blocking
61. Knit two sweaters this year (at least)
62. Learn how to read patterns better
63. When purchasing patterns and yarn, actually start and COMPLETE the project (have been v. good about this so far)


64. Take one knitting class every other month
65. Go to one knitting group a week
66. Knit afghans for engaged friends
67. Give more to homeless people (keep spare change)
68. Understand public transit

HEALTH AND WELLNESS
69. Lose 10 lbs. by birthday
70. Do South Beach vigilantly so can fit back into torturously fitted wedding dress by Jan 17th, damn, damn, damn, will never happen
71. Do core fitness DVD once a week
72. Buy some weights
73. Use the weights
74. Floss
75. Figure out Invisiline and get back on track
76. Fix bike
77. Run at least 9 miles per week or three times per week
78. Try to run in at least two short races and one half or full marathon this year
79. Find a running podcast
80. Find a yoga podcast
81. Go to yoga at least once a week
82. Drink at least 2 L of water per day
83. Eat at least two vegetables per day
84. Be very vigilant about not getting sinus infections
85. Take better care of my skin
86. Use sunscreen every day
87. Take temperature in mornings (don’t get excited. Just a precursor.)
88. Learn to do a handstand
89. Learn Sanskrit yoga terms
90. Do a backbend
91. Go hiking at least twice a month (very good start with hellish new year's day hangover hike)

92. Surf again- stop being a wimp

HOME
93. Throw old magazines away as soon as I read them
94. Frame Black and White photos of family
95. Paint new apartment so is less institutional
96. Throw out old clothes
97. Keeps closets and pantry neater
98. Put clothes away instead of throwing them on the floor
99. Buy more plants and remember to water them
100. Organize scrapbook stuff and letters- put all in one box
101. Learn how to make photo books with iPhoto- for anniversary, present Our First Year of Marriage book to Simons.
102. Make corkboard finally
103. Paint shelves
104. Figure out what to do with junk that I find (sea glass, shells, rocks, etc)

MIND
105. Keep a dream journal by bed
106. Read 52 books, that's one a week. No "chick lit"
107. Keep a reading journal. Write down a bit about each in a notebook, maybe summarize the plot or quote bits from the text
108. See more indie films
109. Improve Italian, French, Spanish (use tapes, read foreign magazines and books)
110. Learn how to order food in Chinese

WORK
111. Try to be kinder to evil satanic assistant publisher whore that I work for even though she is evil and satanic
112. Write one pitch letter a week
113. Look at grad school opportunities
114. Attend a MB class at least once every other month
115. Set up own website
116. Get rid of Blogger
117. Take a photography class
118. Learn about podcasting
119. Get Skype
120. Pitch personal essay every month
121. Write favorite authors
122. Get favorite book back from SK, evil book poacher
123. Write more fiction and have personal story published
124. Enter at least four writing competitions
125. Learn all current computer programs
126. Keep better track of clips
127. Be better about deadlines
128. Be less defensive with criticism
129. Join at least one work organization
130. Make better contacts
131. Learn how to put video on blog

RETAIL
132. Recreate wardrobe with better choices and colors
133. Buy a long winter coat
134. Get a needle bag
135. Buy non-embarrassing jeans
136. Purchase either downhill or cross country skiing paraphenalia

MONEY
137. Pay off bank loan
138. Start saving 10%
139. Figure out self employment tax
140. Do something with 401k
141. Figure out insurance from last year
142. Pay bills on time and figure out a good system
143. Start an HSA
144. Plan to get rid of debt
145. Learn about investing
146. Have more money in savings than I do in checking
147. Learn how I spend the most money and try to cut costs in those areas
148. Make a budget and come up with some goals
149. Plan a really good trip and start saving

LOVE
150. Make sweater for Simons
151. Try to cook nice breakfast for him twice a week
152. Ask him to do less stuff I can do myself
153. Listen more and think of responses less
154. Plan one romantic thing each week
155. Think before I speak when I’m mad
156. Try to honor him as I promised
157. Remember his small kindnesses
158. Forget my small grievances
159. Take more picnics
160. Try to keep my stuff more organized so it doesn’t fill up the house and stress him out.

18 comments:

Fubsy said...

That's quite a list but there are some really great ones on it. For #93, you can also donate the mags to a hospital or homeless shelter so others can enjoy...it's not so bad, once a month.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

fishing trousers!! please post a photo of those!!!

I love your list. I have some things on a list but it equals about five things. Yet, I feel like I could do a list like yours, things like flossing and "make hot chocolate sauce from scratch ONLY at ALL times." I did that today and will never go back to Smuckers!

Jemima said...

Mmmm...hot chocolate sauce. So delish. No, no, must maintain skinny objectives!!! DOOM!

Anonymous said...

Or you could knit afghans for the homeless. Not that you want my advice for MORE resolutions. ;-)
Excellent list!!!
Tell me about South Beach, I've gained way too much recently.

And why should one be less sarcastic? I think it's a LOVELY quality. As is unnecessarily CAPITALIZING words.

Thanks so much for the card. I am honored that it came in a yellow envelope.

Rachel

Kelly Love said...

I love your resolutions! I completely blew mine off (I usually have them done by now) but you've inspired me to break out last year's list and start cranking out some new ones.

Bill said...

Sweet buttered biscuits! That is quite the list - a cynical person would comment that you might consider spending less time conjuring the list and more time manifesting the list - but what the hell it's your list and you should damn well do as you please.

Take good care Ms Holly and Mr Sean - we (that's the internet "we") have all grown quite attached to them over the last few months as they scour the globe looking for interesting things to write about and beautiful scenes to photograph.

Horrible Warning said...

Sweet cracker sandwich!!

Sorry, I had to...it's such a great phrase.

That is quite a list. It matters not to me whether you keep one thing on it...you are my hero for even thinking of it all. Also a little insane, but my hero none-the-less. Good luck!

Marcheline said...

KeeeeeRIPES!

The Sorority said...

Holy Moly Cow that is a large list of to do's for the year! My list of to do's for 2007 is much smaller and I will still probably blow them off.

I always donated my magazines to the laundry room in my apartment buildings. You always need something to read while waiting to put fabric softener in (bit of a laundry freak).

Also, I must agree on the sarcasm -you can't give it up totally. Sarcasm is what makes life so much fun!

Diane

barbie2be said...

you forgot 161. teach barbie2be a basic knitting stitch! :)

Jemima said...

I can do that!

Alexandrialeigh said...

I am soooooooooooo coveting those fingerless gloves.

barbie2be said...

yippee!

Wordnerd said...

Great list! If you accomplish a fraction of that, feel very good about yourself. I can't even accomplish the list itself!

Meg said...

Dear GOD that's intimidating! But brilliant, too.

WSS said...

FAMILY and FRIENDS
1. I honestly don’t know anyone who is more generous and adoring of her family (check)
2. You come by giving advice honestly. It’s better to just learn when to give it and when to just shut up and listen. You’ve taught me this! (check)
3. See #2
4. Do you say mean things?
5. Is that sarcastic?
6. Just don’t forget Momma's, Daddy’s or Simons’s birthdays – the rest of us will forgive you!
9. You are the very best aunt – ever!!! (check)
11. Try that trick of name-object association. I’ve heard it helps though I can’t remember the name of the guy who told me about it! 
13. Trick to mingling is just asking good questions.
17. Include some good Southern food for Mayfield

COOKING
18. see the old blog – The Julie Julia Project – where Julie Powell (who later published a book about her project) took one year to cook all the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume I by Julia Child all while working a full-time government job in New York City. It’s old, but very entertaining to read through. http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/2002/08/25.html
25. See if you can do one of those wine label books – I love wine labels and there is a kind of sticky tape product that pulls the label off without the dreaded soaking. Maybe combine with your entertaining journal.
28. You do this already don’t you?! (check)
36. Homemade strawberry preserves – yum!

HABITS
42. great idea, but once a month is more doable.
44. You’d love Habitat
45. Does a double Baptism count as two church services? (check)
49. World’s shortest poem:
Fleas
Adam
Had 'em.
52. This is actually nice. You can do it!

HEALTH AND WELLNESS
79. http://jogtunesindie.com/
80. http://www.podcastingnews.com/details/yoganexus.com/yogatalk.xml/view.htm
83. Make an egg-white omelet with lots of veggies for breakfast – get your day off to a good start!
85. Start using moisturizer with sunscreen
86. see #85
87. If you have any questions about this, not even pushing or anything I swear, just ask.

HOME
93. Donate to doctor’s offices or anywhere with a boring waiting room!
96. Donate old clothes
104. I always loved those big clear glass lamps you can fill with “treasuh”

MIND
106. Chick lit counts! What about trashy romance novels? Ha Ha!
107. Daddy made me do this in the 4th grade – I hated it at the time but it was cool at the end of the summer to go back over all the index cards of the many books I read.
110. Xiaojie, wo yao yipan gongbao jiding, hai yige yuxiang qiezi, yiwan mifan, he yihu moli huacha. Xiexie. “Miss, I’ll have kungpao chicken, eggplant stew, a bowl of steamed rice, and one pot of jasmine tea. Thank you.” Pronunciation is up to you!

WORK
113. Take GRE first
116. Nooo! I love your blog! We all do!
131. and then teach your sister

RETAIL
133. A short winter coat is easier to work with. It’s a pain to drive with one and they’re very heavy.

LOVE
Don’t bottle things inside – say your piece and get over it! Don’t practice the silent treatment! Doesn’t work. Not healthy.

All in all, a very good, thorough and ambitious list! Good luck!

Jill said...

Loved your list. Could identify with much of it. Oh and I'm a knitter too. A poor one, but I do try, so that counts for something.

Jennifer said...

That's quite a lot of resolutions, but I love your list. I hate the same old "I will lose 10 lbs this year" resolutions that no one ever keeps. I am going to consider doing something like this, seems like a great way to think about the different areas of your life and what could be better!