Friday, January 05, 2007

Children of the Resolution

So far, have run twice, hiked once, signed up for a yoga class, penciled in a Fair Isle course, failed utterly at South Beach (damned Holly and her chocolates), begun Simons' raglan sweater (five inches so far), worn an apron once, and have folded my clothes instead of leaving them in a heap on the floor for four days running. My God, my chi is PUMPED!

This morning, after months of frustration and somewhat alarming self discipline, Simons submitted his entry for an international architectural design competition in Peru...a little project I like to call The Vagina. (Was that my dad's head hitting the floor?) While reading the synopsis, the aerial view of this ancient mesa and Mayan grain "processing" facility was described as "resembling an enormous stone vagina," and I swear I'm not making this up.

Simons should never have told me. He has learned to dread the question, "Honey, what are you doing?"

Juvenile cackling always ensues, kind of like my snorting every time I mention roasting something in our Le Creuset Dutch Oven. (snort) Heh heh. Dutch oven.

Most of the time large firms enter a whole team of architects for these competitions, but Simons decided to design the museum and research facility all by himself, which I think is really quite ambitious. If he wins, we would get an all expenses paid trip to Peru and such fun activities, and although that's probably unlikely, his idea is really amazing, and I've been bowled over once again by my husband's unfathomable creativity. Seriously, where does he come up with this stuff? How sweet would it be if he won? What a resume builder for him! What an excellent opportunity to eat new food for me!

I'm off this morning to the Wok Shop, my favorite shop in Chinatown. Must avoid Moon Cakes at all costs...

4 comments:

barbie2be said...

you go simons! i hope you win it all!

Stepping Over the Junk said...

what're moon cakes? I JUST got an apron from my sister for Christmas...I must post a photo of it. Very nice for you to have friends down the road. That's awesome about the architectural contest for the man, even if a vagina is involved.

Anonymous said...

H-m-m-m-m-m-m!

The Sorority said...

Way to go Simons! Win your wife an all expenses paid trip to Peru! Oh yeah and win yourself an helluva resume builder as well!