Thursday, December 28, 2006

There's just something about extreme dehydration...

...that makes my skin clear up.

Really, I spent all day yesterday vomiting on an airplane and I've never looked better.

Christmas was wonderful, albeit fattening and a little exhausting. I'm sure my family feels the same way, since they did all the work while I played with babies. But Friday, my dad had a great oyster roast for most of our childhood friends in Charleston, with awesome venison chili and homemade oatmeal cookies and my favorite white trash dip (yum). I probably ate a whole box of oysters by myself.

And we ate at his parents and my parents and his brother-in-law's and had drinks with everyone under the sun, so I reckon I spent the whole week drunk and bloated. Nice. So that's why I just figured yesterday I had a hangover from too much rum punch in the country at oyster roast #2, when in actuality, a hangover does not generally cause fever and chills and throbbing kidneys and aching joints and vomiting 14 hours later.

I must say that I pride myself for being a tidy vomiter, always useful for college parties when younger (just kidding, Mom and Daddy). But that trait came in very handy while descending into Dulles airport yesterday afternoon at 4:30, when the urge I had been fighting all damned morning became too great. Fortunately we were at the dead rear of the plane, with no one seated next to us, and since the engines and flaps were so loud, no one heard me, and I found a bag in the nick of time. Simons was asleep next to me and he didn't even notice until he woke to my sobbing and pleading for gum.

So the six-hour flight from DC to San Francisco almost killed me, and I found out this morning that my poor mom, who worked like a slave to make a great holiday for everyone, has been hurling all night and is mewling in the bed too. Happy freaking Christmas!

So, in short, BLECH! And I hope everyone had fun and got lots of loot!

9 comments:

Agricola said...

Better a bug than a baby.....

Alexandrialeigh said...

I second that!

Jemima said...

With any luck, the gastric flu will last until I reach a desirable 130 lbs and can swim into my wedding dress with ease. Maybe I can convince some homeless person to cough on me for a 40 oz.

Horrible Warning said...

Been there, done that. At Christmas. Only not on a plane...poor baby!! I hope you feel better!

Jenny said...

Mmmm...drunk and bloated. Sounds like my kind of Christmas! :)

Marcheline said...

(In the voice of Carl, from the movie "Sling Blade")

Mebbe sumbuddy got them sum bad ersters?

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I FEEL FOR YOU! It is bad enough throwing up in one's own toilet or bowl beside the bed, but on an airplane where you cant scream and yell and wimper and moan quite as exhuberantly, well, that sucks even more.

barbie2be said...

Eiw!

i was about to say maybe you are preggers, but then you said your mom was sick too so...

anyway, glad you are back and that you had a good time.

Lissa said...

Oh I feel your pain! I have had to get out the air sickness bag and that is never fun. I hope you are feeling better but then again how could you not with your friend holly there!