Friday, December 29, 2006

HOORAY!


Holly from Nothing But Bonfires arrives today (checks clock...okay, I got an hour) from Singapore, so I've been frantically denuding Walter the Christmas Tree, vacuuming, washing dishes and trying to hide my yarn magazine and stash so she doesn't know what a nerd I am. My cleaning efforts are probably useless, but hopefully she'll be too jetlagged to noticed my dirty bathmat.

So I've got to make a proper English comfort feast for when she gets here, because she's bound to be missing her family and a little berserk about finding an apartment and a job and PARKING. Sean gets here sometime soon, but no one has any idea where he is (SEAN, WHERE ARE YOU?), with the two cats. Things are about to get very exciting in our little 600-square foot apartment. I envision Fat Charles and Sadie playing body roulette around the living room, while Beulah dashes joyously around on the perimeter, jaws deliciously agape, hurricane lanterns and monkey skulls ricocheting off the floor, with hissing and clawing and boxing of brown spaniel ears and a great bowing up and delirious bloodletting over all the land. My money's on Fat Charles.

I'll take video if it happens.

Any ideas for British comfort food? Toast, eggs, beans, stuffed tom-ah-toes? Something vile involving peas?

Oh hell, I've just spotted a whole nother pile of pine needles. I loved that tree, but DAMN! Did it have to die so MESSILY?

Gah! My phone is dead! Must call Cingular and kill someone.

8 comments:

Stepping Over the Junk said...

Make her a regular old FRY UP! Have a good time. I am going to plead exhaustion as recovering from Pnuenomia to get Chef to drag my old tree out to the curb AND vaccuum up the needles for me. And then beg him to make ME a Fry up.

barbie2be said...

yippee!

hopefully we will get to meet sometime. :) i mean, i am only down the road in san jose.

Alexandrialeigh said...

That's IT. I am officially pouting that you and Holly get to live in such a cool city and I am still in the freaking south.

(wails)

Just wait -- I'm going to get even and move to Hawaii or Paris or Florence or something. And then you'll want to visit me.

The Sorority said...

I would recommend the following English comfort food items (my Dad is English as is my husband's mom and nana) -- a good cup of tea, gin or vodka tonic, a good fry up, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, shepherd's pie or eggs and soldiers (Holly will know what that is). Mostly I think that seeing Sean, you and Simons is all the comfort she will need.

Nothing But Bonfires said...

Too right, Sorority. Although I have to say the filet mignon helped immensely as well.

And for what it's worth, I don't know WHAT I was thinking vis-a-vis that little gold number.

Jill said...

When you get a hold of Cingular, kill someone there for me as well, will you? Thanks.

Marcheline said...

I vote for Shepherd's Pie. That ROCKS, no matter which side of the pond you're from! Just put some ground beef and onions in a cast iron skillet, cook till done, mebbe add a little HP sauce (or A-1) for flavor, along with a can of peas, and put it in a deep pyrex dish. Make some instant mashed potatoes, (or real ones, if you have the time) and layer that thickly over the top of the ground beef. Before serving, pop it under the broiler to brown the top. Whip up some gravy (McCormick's will do) to serve alongside.

YUMMY!

- M

Wordnerd said...

Aw, enjoy the visit! And cook whatever -- good wine and good company will stand out more than anything!