Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Alright...Alright...Just trying to get a little change in my pocket...

(ahhh, don't you just love Matthew McCona-hey-hey? Meow, and I don't care if he is wierd.)

Once again, my sister has given the best advice ever. Remember that interview I blew on Monday morning? The one where the dog puked and my head ached and it was Daylight Savings Time and I was sore and cranky from camping, and the fates were stacked against me?

Yeah, that one. Well, after I got the "Thanks, but No Way in Hell" email from the editor, I called my sister boo-hooing, because that's what big sisters are for, especially responsible, kind and sensitive big sisters with a major diplomatic bent. And that is my sister exactly. She rocks. Anyway, she told me to write an email to the editor acknowledging that the interview didn't exactly put my best foot forward (I'll say), and to actually try writing the newsletter she wants and send it to her as a sample. So I did, and the woman was "very impressed" and wants me to meet the publisher TOMORROW! (please, please giant Everest pimple, go AWAY already!)

I'm not counting my freelancing dollars before they hatch, but still, this is RENT, folks. Simons will be so pleased! Oh man, I'm so tempted not to even tell him until I have the assignment.

Also, sent another kickass pitch, this time to Parents magazine, which I know is bizarre since I don't actually have any little critters. But I like them, have read every parenting book in the universe, and realized today that I have FOUR NIECES, ONE NEPHEW AND TWO GODDAUGHTERS. Man, it's going to be an expensive Christmas this year. Anyone have any ideas for cheap but nice children's presents? I had thought to knit them all hats or sweaters, but that is going to end up being more expensive than just getting them a pony. I keep threatening to do that, and for some reason, none of these mothers think that's funny.

So tomorrow, it's Dwell magazine, and maybe one of these days, someone will accept something I pitch. Now wouldn't that be a surprise.

7 comments:

CharlestonGirl said...

Since you wrote in your blog today, I am assuming you didn't experience any of the drama in the Castro last night. It has been on the news that some people were shot. Glad you are okay. I enjoy your writing very much. Good luck with the jobs! :)

Jemima said...

Thanks, CG. And no, Hot Gay Steve bailed, so we missed the Castro. Alas, alack.

Nothing But Bonfires said...

Dwell? Dwell would be AWESOME. Remember that you'd then have to get me a job there as well. And in return I would totally get you a job at PC Gamer magazine, which is (I kid you not) a place I sent my clips yesterday. Despite the fact that I have a mac, know nothing about video games, and don't wear glasses fixed with scotch tape. Desperate times and all that...

Jill said...

I'm glad you're submitting. You have a talent for writing, so don't ever give up!

barbie2be said...

you go, Jemima! that's the way to bowl them over! fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

that's awesome. I am totally laughing about the dog puking in the background...glad you persisted and landed the interview...good luck. And Dwell ROCKS!!!!

WSS said...

So glad my advice finally went for good and not evil! Seriously, phone interviews are impossibly hard with no facial expressions to gauge how you're doing or, in your case, your famous hand gestures to liven things up. I hope that after today you'll be able to share your vomiting dog story with your new employer!
Love you lots,
WSS