Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Most Amazing Thing Ever

Introducing my newest niece, Sarah Elizabeth. Named after moi, practically delivered by moi, and definitely, definitely adored by moi.


My sister let me stay in the room, knitting a blue blanket for the baby I was sure was a boy. And they checked on her once to see how things were progressing, and she was at 5 cm. Then 30 minutes later, they checked again, and THERE was the baby. I instantly dropped several stitches, which I think adds a certain history to that particular knitting project. The nurses called the doctor and warned Melissa not to push, and the second the doctor walked in and got dressed in her "ball gown," they told her to start pushing. Four pushes and five minutes later, out slid the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, all six pounds of her.

I got to cut the cord, and hold her, and instantly this little person became such an important part of our lives. I was convinced I could never love anyone so much as Bean, but as it turns out, the heart is a very stretchy organ, and I can. Just as much...

6 comments:

Wordnerd said...

OMG, that brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful baby! I know you are one proud aunt...congrats and best wishes to all.

barbie2be said...

welcome to the world, miss sarah elizabeth!

she is a beauty!

Horrible Warning said...

She is almost as stunning as my baby niece, The Chipmunk. I didn't get to be in the delivery room because my sister didn't want me to see THAT. But I was the first family member to hold her, and she's had a hold on me ever since. There is nothing like being an aunt. Congratulations!!

Nothing But Bonfires said...

Oh Auntie Sarah, that made me all teary. She's gorgeous, even all red and newly-born. And she looks like she has a set of lungs on her! I think you may have to take her to Heavy Metal Karaoke in eighteen years...

Marcheline said...

WOW! Congratulations! And to have her named after you is so special.... enjoy every moment!

Love the pix, too - thanks for sharing!

- M

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to be there. Congratulations!!