Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Boo

My wedding is cursed. I mean this in more of a worried way than a spoiled bridezilla way, because already one very good friend of mine has had to cancel a shower because of marital difficulties (I didn’t cause them. They were already there before she offered to throw a party). And one of my mom’s good friends had to cancel the linen shower this Saturday because her husband died. I want to call people and tell them to BACK OUT NOW lest a meteor fall on them.

In other news, A.S. and I did not paint last night. Instead we had some friends over and sat on our porch amid the wreckage and drank beer and cooked fish tacos. The dog trundled around the yard and barked at anything that moved. The kitchen took shape. It was all so lovely.

My mom and godmother are coming over tonight to keep me company while I paint, which will be nice. Mom will probably even help. But I think they’re both a little down in the dumps about their friend’s husband, and maybe I can cheer them up some, or at least distract them. A.S. goes back to school tonight, so it will be nice to have some company. I think it’s going to freak me out a little bit to stay there by myself, with all of the house’s noises and street traffic. I’m used to being well above the fray (other than my neighbor’s fray), and the damned dog barks at the slightest peep, so I’ll probably be twitching all night. I miss my apartment more than I expected...and I expected to miss it a lot.

Oh well. At least my neighbors are just around the corner. When A.S. and I move to the left coast, everyone will be REALLY far away, so this will have to be my training period.

5 comments:

Nothing But Bonfires said...

Except for me! I won't be far away! I'll be sleeping on your sofa in your swanky Nob Hill pad, because I won't be able to find myself a job or an apartment. Then you'll WISH I was far away on the other coast.

barbie2be said...

i'd offer to help you paint, but i am already on the left coast wishing my roommate would just get the hell out already so that i can get into her rooms to paint so that i can move. :)

Wordnerd said...

Glad you took a break -- from the sound of it, you needed one! Enjoy the new place! And take your time -- it'll be there when you get back!

Alexandrialeigh said...

Not sure if you just haven't sent them yet, but I have not received an invitation...I'm still invited, right?

Marcheline said...

We have lived in our cottage for nearly 6 years now... three as renters, three as owners - and STILL have not painted a single wall. They're all stark, boring white. The reason I don't feel capable of painting them is the sheer mass of collected furniture and living-related accumulated crap I'd have to move around in order to accomplish it.

You were smart to paint before unpacking!