Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Soup

Ahhh, soup. I know Bonfires doesn’t like it, but I have to say that on a rainy crap day, there is nothing quite so nice as a bowl so hot, it steams your face while you eat it. Right at this very instant I am hovering above a bowl of bean soup, all cozy in my sock monkey slippers at the kitchen table, just me and my PowerBook and my vat of soup. I soaked the beans overnight, rinsing and swirling and draining and resoaking, and removing all beans that weren’t pearly and unblemished. Then I made a mirepoix, chopping everything so fine, weeping from the onions, and browning my salty hambones in the heavy cast iron skillet until the kitchen smelled positively heavenly.

Don’t you just love that word?

Mirepoix.

Miiiiiirepoix.

MIREPOIX!

Then I simmered the stock overnight, barely stirring, skimming off any fat, so the broth was clear and rich, waking up to the kitchen windows all fogged up from my soup sauna. Then it all went into my crockpot (first time use), layering beans/broth/shreds of ham, three hours of cooking on Low, and the resulting bean soup could raise the dead. I’ve actually been driving home for lunch so that I can sit in front of my lovely antique gas heater in my gold velvet armchair, eating soup in relative peace. It’s like a mini winter holiday every afternoon.

Of course…then I have to go back to the shouting.

1 comment:

Nothing But Bonfires said...

I like milquetoast better.