Monday, March 14, 2005

Poor Mini

It was a good thing my car was so clean, because I had to take it to the collision center today. $874!!! Why in the HELL does it cost that much to fix a tiny dent and some paint scratching? The poor woman who caused the accident is probably going to have to quit eating to pay it off, and although it was definitely her fault, I feel AWFUL about it. We didn't file a police report after she turned left from the right lane right in front of me, and everyone at work kept telling me she was going to screw me and say I was at fault and her neck was starting to hurt. Well, she did the decent thing and claimed responsibility and restored my faith in humanity. And she was so unbelievably sad about it when we were standing there in the street that I almost felt like it really was my fault--I don't like making people sad. And the guy at the collision center kept asking me if I wanted to get this other little dent fixed while I was at it... he must have seen my look of horror. No, asswipe! I don't! I asked him repeatedly to try to keep the cost down, but he decided I needed to have the whole frickin car taken apart and repainted and some rivet-thingy put in and all that. I'm like, Christ, can't i just go get some silver fingernail polish and cover it up?

4 comments:

Marcheline said...

Yes, Jemima, you could have. Used silver nail polish. I have done incredibly weird things to fix vehicular irregularities without paying for it, from magic marker to shoe polish to buffing out scratches with toothpaste. Whatever keeps the old wallet from dissolving into a motheaten heap...

- Elysia / Marcheline (I'm out of the blogging closet! I decided to let T read my blog....)

Jesster said...

Wait a sec, you have a silver mini??? I am soooo jealous!

At least you are both okay....

Jemima said...

Yes, I love my Mini. It is so zippy and the stereo is so loud. I've wanted one since college when a couple of my friends had the real ones in Scotland. They were so ghetto-fab. Mine is only ghetto because I'm driving it and fill it with smells and dog hair.

And I asked about the fingernail polish and the guy said because it was metallic paint, the fingernail polish stuff would just glomb together and "look terrible." I thought his attitude was terrible, but my questioning wasn't getting me anywhere and he told me to just go on inside and wait and shutup. (fumes) Stupid man!

Right now I'm driving my mother's car, which is the epitome of NOT COOL. And believe me, I know uncool. My last car, which my parents purchased at auction for me when i came back from South Africa was a 1990 Chevy Lumina sedan. And I was grateful, but MAN was it lame. And at one point I was forced to drive a 1978 Mercury station wagon with brown shag carpeting and acres of fake wood paneling. It was nicknamed The Turd and was intended as punishment for killing my 84 diesel Suburban. Now "Alice" was my first great love, and I pulled horse trailers all around the country in that thing, and it had burn marks all over the ceiling from passing smokes back and forth. IT was so great. And I killed her (sobs) and was forced into driving The Turd. Two cute boys pointed and laughed at me when I turned onto my street for the first time.

Jesster said...

Great story! Ah, first car memories.