Monday, February 28, 2005

Guilt Assuaged

I've been debating all weekend about whether I should actually take this new job. I actually really love what I'm doing (writing for a living) and I looooove the people I work with (Nerve Cell excluded). I'm going to miss Little Miss Nobody extremely, but she promises to still go running with me and eat lunch since we're just right down the street. It feels so mercernary to quit writing for a living and go into PR just for the money...

But The Nerve is pushing me just a tad too far. And it occurred to me this morning that if I leave, I won't have to respond to any more of his no-brainer questions and have an irritation-fomented stroke everytime he so much as looks at me.

I've actually been rather good at fielding his retardedness up until now. He asks me to answer a question, and I say, "Oh, you mean a DIFFERENT answer than is given in the following sentence? Of course, Nerve." And he says, "Um, wait, let me look at it again." Or he asks me to write a freakin sidebar with two more interviews while I'm trying desperately to finish another story under deadline, and rather than leap across the desk and slap him across the mouth, I say, "Gee, Nerve Cell, that sounds really important. So I can either drop the 14 million things that I'm doing and get right on that. Or I can do it Monday. Or I can give you the information and you can do it your own damned self." And he usually leaves me alone. I've recommended this strategy to Miss Nobody (saying no with style), but she's nicer than I am.

But this morning when I got in, Nerve had a redonculously dumb question about a chart that was actually answered by the CHART TITLE and insisted that I write a caption for it. And I immediately became so hostile that I lost absolutely every molecular crumb of guilt I had for leaving his fat ass in the lurch.

So, bite me, Nerve Cell. I quit.

3 comments:

Kickball Superstar said...

1) Congrats on the new job!
2) PR is not "mercenary" - it's necessary...
3) Even though you're chucking me under the bus to LMN, I still think you're pretty cool... :)

-KS

Alexandrialeigh said...

KS -- Holy shit, you ARE a stalker. Your profile photo is one that I have up in my little cube, that someone gave me on his last day with our company. Seriously, I'm starting to get freaked out.

Jemima, I adore you, but you and KS really don't want to know what I think about PR and the people who love it...

Elysia said...

The question is.... what do you fear more, the tiger you know (Nerve) or the tiger you don't know (whoever may outrank and annoy you at your next job)? I ask this from the perspective of someone who has quit more jobs than any ten people you can think of put together has ever had in their lives.... it feels great to get out of a situation that frustrates you.... but sometimes you end up in a hellpit of vipers worse than you could have ever imagined at the old job. For me, it's all about the fun of being someplace new, learning new things, meeting new people, so I never let worries like this stop me. It's just something to ponder as you munch Toblerones....